Friday 17 October 2014

October Seventeenth

One day, when I grow up, I’m going to die.

Unfortunately for you, you’re going to do the same thing. So will everyone you know, and everyone they know. You see, that continued overwhelming pressure to be something when you “grow up” really isn’t going to matter in the grand scheme of things. At the end of the day, we’re all going to the same place; back to the ground.

So why are we all so stressed about it?

One of the first things children are taught, or believe in their young years is to want to become something. And if they haven’t figured out at least a silly answer to that question at age 5, look out! My argument is: if they don’t have an answer to that at age 50, that’s completely okay.

Don’t misunderstand me, having goals for yourself and future aspirations are important. Please, do have those. But in a world where hundreds of new jobs and careers are created every year, how can you reasonably expect everyone to know how they want to earn their money for the rest of their lives?

Think about those children again. Why does Jimmy want to be a fireman? Because he watches Fireman Sam on TV every afternoon, saving little old ladies cats’ and putting out fires left right and centre, with zero losses or repercussions. 100% hero. Why does Lisa want to be a vet? Because she loooovess horses and wants to spend all day brushing their hair and healing them of their minor ailments. Would Lisa still want to be a vet if she knew she couldn’t save the lives of all of the horses she tended to?

I think about my later years of high school, and distinctively remember being sat down to talk about my future at age 16. How is that okay? I was still a child. I was still learning about who I was on a basic level. And here you are trying to pressure me into making a 5-10 year plan concerning who and what I’m going to be for the rest of my life!

There is too much expectation, and too many options. Sometimes I think it would be easier if someone said to me “You need to go be a nurse.” And that would be my career. But then I remember how I pass out at the sight of needles, struggle to show initiative under stress, and essentially run on feelings. So nursing would be an incredibly draining and inappropriate fit for me.

I’m all for responsibility and making smart, logical decisions about my future, but that doesn’t always mean going to university and paying tens of thousands of dollars to become something that makes you miserable every day of your life. For me, responsibility means being available for my family; taking care of those who need love, support, and friendship; nurturing people who need direction; picking up after yourself. It doesn’t necessarily mean a high paying job.

I don’t want to find something that just fits me, or pays the bills while I sort myself out. I want to find something that IS me. Something that wholeheartedly accepts that I’m a sensitive soul and doesn’t drain me in that regard; that one day allows for my desire to be a stay at home mama; that appreciates my creativity and imagination and knows that I absolutely have to have a way of nurturing and releasing that; and above all, accepts that Jesus Christ is my saviour, whom I want to honour in all that I strive for and accomplish.


So, humanity, take your societal pressures and keep them to yourself. I’m 21 years old, and when I grow up, I’m going to die. So please, just let me be me until then. I promise that you will benefit from it too if you just let me.


No comments:

Post a Comment